Sunday, April 22, 2012

White House Garden Tour

Thanks to Helen I was able to get a tour of the White House gardens this weekend.  Jenny and I were both able to go and bring friends.  I actually saw where the president plays basketball.  Well, the court was enclosed by evergreens, but I like to think I saw where he plays.  It was truly a fantastic day complete with my first ever vegan meal, which wasn't half bad.

This past Tuesday was Equal Pay Day so I attended two events for that.  Then on Wednesday, I attended a fantastic panel at the Wilson Center that focused on women's leadership in the Middle East.  The speakers were from Oman, UAE, and Egypt.  The panelists were successful business and diplomat leaders in their countries.  I also attended a briefing on VAWA, Violence Against Women Act.  Futures Without Violence sponsored the briefing that focused on the health effects of children exposed to violence in the home.  Not only do these children suffer short-term effects like asthma or bed wetting, they are more likely to suffer from obesity,  depression, and chronic heart failure.  Children who live in abused homes live in fear; therefore, their bodies are constantly in fight or flight mode, which puts more stress on their body and brains.  The temporal lobes of their brain, which control emotions, do not fully developed, because their brain stem is working overtime.  Therefore, America will save money if it reauthorizes VAWA, because we will not have to pay for these long-term effects.  

No comments:

Post a Comment