Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Feb 13-17

Hi everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying their internships so far. I am becoming really comfortable in the office, which has made everything a lot easier. Last week was pretty good. We held a voter registration drive for our clients or for anyone else who wanted to register to vote in the primary on March 20, and I registered myself, too :) There wasn't a big turnout (surprise, surprise), but most of our clients were already registered, so we couldn't complain too much about that. Another volunteer and myself are working on creating pamphlets/brochures for our clients to inform them about the important issues of the upcoming elections. We also did a community outreach to an organization titled Asian Human Services, which offers services to immigrants, refugees, and citizens with health care, employment, and education. We basically educated people there about LIFT. The people were nice and very interested in the services that we provide!


OH YEA! At one of my meetings last week, I had a new client who was interested in finding housing. He was an older, white male with a PHD, which is a rarity for our clients, and he informed me that he was HIV+. This may not be a big deal to you guys, but I had never knowingly been in contact with a person who has HIV, yet alone has anyone ever told me that they have the virus. I was very proud of myself for not overreacting or making a weird face when he told me. I was actually glad that he was comfortable enough to share that information with me. There are many housing agencies that cater specifically to people with HIV, so it was pretty easy to find him some places to apply, too. So, I'd say that that meeting was pretty successful on both ends!

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment