Monday, February 27, 2012

Like a Rhinestone Cowboy!

Hello again everyone! The internship has been going really well, and later today something that I drafted will be presented! This week was pretty busy--helped write some blogs, helped my co-intern, helped some other interns...These blog posts really exemplify my writing skills, doesn't it!?

I'm slowly learning more, doing more, and getting the hang of things. Last week I felt really productive, and I'm always happier when I'm busy doing something.  I have been worried that I haven't been able to contribute, or that I'm being an annoying intern, and sometimes when I make mistakes I wonder why armagedon didn't happen and strike me dead right on the spot. After talking with a former intern about her experience,  I am confident that any doubts I feel I need to get over, and this experience will be totally worth it in the end.

By far the best part of the internship, however, are the other interns. Mostly, I'm mostly impressed and really happy to be surrounded by such warm, hilarious and supportive interns. I'm getting to know them all better, and our relationships have greatly evolved. When we first introduced ourselves, it was very cordial and professional. All firm handshakes and questions about which department? Where? Which school? The usual intern questions that you forget four seconds after you ask, so at the time I was feeling uncomfortable and never thought I'd be able to warm up to anyone. Well, now I know one of the interns salsa dances, another raps in Italian and beat-boxes, a third lives in an exotic house inspired by Jewish and Jamaican art and has his resident's rooms named after deceased relatives, and everyone seems pretty awesome in their own quirky ways. And some of these interns, as my co-intern describes it well, are the eerily nicest people we've met. I got sick on Friday, and another intern saw me when I was distressed, so this morning she  made cookies, which is brilliant because food is usually my therapy replacement.

Most significantly, my co-intern is pretty awesome to say the least, and we have a rather abusive and loving relationship. He's a great worker, with tremendous intern experience that makes me blush when we compare resumes, but he's super down to earth, delightfully spastic, and usually flashes his calves to me about 5 times a day when he's pulling up his socks. I'm really considering getting him sock suspenders because its starting to irritate me when we'll be talking and suddenly he just puts his leg up and dramatically pulls up his pant leg up to his knee and then tugs at his socks. I mean, seriously. They'll be separating us sometime soon because they've finished construction after forever and 5 days. Soon, instead of being jamed in the corner, Ryan and I will have some breathing room but I won't be able to turn around and tell Ryan what a Rhinestone cowboy he is, or steal his food, or whisper profanities in his direction, which I don't really know how to handle at this point.

I'll keep you all updated on the details! I've also been exploring DC, being the typical tourist, and I can't wait for next Saturday to continue my touring. I really want to get a library card to the Library of Congress just to be pretentious, and I also can't wait for the end of March for the cherry blossoms! That's all for now, toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment