Wednesday, February 8, 2012

International Law Institute

Hey Friends!
Great to hear that we are all doing such diverse and interesting things! Personally, I am in DC working in Georgetown, which is a really quaint part in NW. I work across from this really great bakery/cupcake shop called Baked and Wired and if you are in DC you should definitely try it out!

I live in Eastern Market just a few blocks away from Marla and moved in a little over a week ago so I'm still getting settled. I've checked out the Foggy Bottom, Dupont, Adams Morgan, and U St. neighborhoods as well but still have much more exploring to do!

About my internship, the organization itself is really awesome. The ILI puts on seminars for government officials from developing countries. The people are great and many of them have backgrounds in law combined with development work or the peace corp, so they are my kind of people :). They love Africa and specifically Nigeria (our Executive Director goes there all the time!). Currently my work is a little slow because the next seminar doesn't start until March. I've been doing a lot of marketing and researching development projects. I've also been meeting with important people like diplomats, international lawyers, and others who work at international development organizations.

Can't wait to hear about everyone's experiences!
-jenny

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome Jenny! Any chance they offer paid summer internships...? A reach, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They unfortunately don't offer any paid internships. The organization and people are great but the work is kind of menial. Mostly marketing/database entry work...eventually I'll be able to work on PowerPoints for seminars and such. As of now, I'm not sure I would recommend it, but I'll let you know if things start to become more challenging in a few weeks...on the other hand, it is a great opportunity for networking

    ReplyDelete