Monday, February 27, 2012

Mon-13-Fri17

Hi Everyone!


Things have been getting  pretty hectic in this office, and I have no idea why! This past week was extremely busy. In fact, Thursday, we had the most client meetings EVER in one day (38). I usually have one or two clients daily, but on Thursday, I had four! My clients have mainly needed resume help, which I actually enjoy doing. I also did an outreach to a shelter not to far from our office called Cornerstone. I had never been to a shelter before, so I was a little nervous as to what I should expect. The people were really nice, and seemed interested in LIFT. We visited during their lunch hour, and I was surprised to see that their food didn't look bad (smelled pretty good too)! 


Interestingly, we have been having a lot of people come into our office who seem to have mental disorders of some sort. None of us are psychologist (obviously) so this makes those interactions very   difficult. For instance, I encountered a woman who informed me that she thinks a mayor is out to kill her! In situations like that, we schedule appointments with clients to evaluate their situation a little more, than refer them out to a place better able and handling their needs. 


Sunday, we had our second annual  LIFT Chicago Regional Summit, which includes all three of the offices (Uptown, Evanstan, and Pilsen). Honestly, I was not looking forward to this because it was an all day event, and I am soooo exhausted! BUT it was really a lot of fun. I got to meet students from the other offices and learn about their clients and problems that occur at their sites. There was also good discussions about poverty and trying to find solutions to the problems that impoverished people are faced with. Plus, the food was really good! Well, I hope this week goes well, and is less chaotic than last week. On that note, hope everyone is having a wonderful time at their internships!


Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment