Sunday, February 5, 2012

My First Month at the Club

Like Lauren I am also out in DC. I'm interning at the Sierra Club on the Beyond the Oil Campaign. It's a great city and a lot of the CLPers out here have gotten the opportunity to spend some quality time together!

I'm living in Eastern Market, the south eastern area of Capitol Hill. I rented a room in a row house on Seventh. It's currently just me and my land lord living in the house, but there is another room that will be filled apparently sometime this week. My landlord is a retired lady that has been living in this house since she was in her 30s. It's been an interesting experience learning how to best share such a small space. Nonetheless, the location is spot on. It's a 20 minute walk to where I work next to Union Station. It's also a very cute neighborhood. Each weekend there is a market with all sorts of cool things to buy. I actually found an exact replica of a scarf I had bought in India and lost!

My job is a lot of fun and a good challenge. The second or third day of work came with the much celebrated denial of permit for the Keystone XL pipeline. This marked a huge victory for the environmental community, but the battle is not over yet and there is still a lot more work to be done. As it's becoming a wedge issue in this election it's become our job to play offense. I'm looking forward to all of the great work I'm going to get to do in regards to this issue as well as the general work at the club.

Looking forward to hearing more about all of your placements!

No comments:

Post a Comment