Monday, March 5, 2012

Casimir Pulaski Day :)

Heya!


Happy Casimir Pulaski Day! I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying themselves. Last week was super busy in the office. A few of out student advocates are sick and another is injured, so there has been double work for me and my supervisors. I actually don't mind it though. I met the alderman of our ward last Monday whose office happens to be right next to ours. He was fascinated to inquire about my internship and how I could possibly balance 40 hours a week with school! He seemed relieved for me when I told him that I'm not taking any classes this semester! Haha. He basically came in to learn about our services, nothing too fancy. He seemed to have a pretty jaded perspective about LIFT and all of the other social services in this area, but I'm sure he has a better understanding of out purpose and what we actually get done now. 


A few of the other student advocates are preparing for an upcoming event called Poverty Awareness Week, in which there will be a week long series of dialogue surrounding poverty and solutions to combating poverty. I have been in contact with a variety of restaurants in hopes of receiving donations because Loyola supposedly has no money to help us. I have been having some really awkward conversations with people, but it's going a lot better than I expected. For instance, Chipotle said that they would donate 50 burritos! Just thinking about those burritos makes me happy. HAHA!

Well, last week is pretty hazy for me, but I think I covered the juicy stuff! Adios!
BTW Check out this article when you get a chance. The photographer caught me busy at work lol


http://columbiachronicle.com/students-get-proactive-about-poverty/

1 comment: