Sunday, March 4, 2012

Look folks...

Hello again everyone! Things are going swell, and I don't really know where to start. Firstly, I moved from one place to another, so now I live 3 blocks from where I work. I have internet and metro access, so I'm in heaven. Never-mind that I live in a living room.
There have been several great experiences--for starters, we had a speakers series for our office and then for the rest of the interns. Our office's speaker series was the more memorable of the two because one of the speakers was my boss, and these were the most down to earth, hilarious, and casually professional staffers I've met so far. Absolutely no bs from them. They spoke to us comfortably, and told us a bit about what they did before they got here. The pressure of the job seems overwhelming.When they were asked for advice towards 'success,' they mentioned something interesting that I'm going to bore and share with you. They mentioned that most people who set definitive goals for their future end up disappointed and unsatisfied with where they are in life. They said the people who seem to be the most successful grab opportunities as they come, take full advantage of them and work their butts off. That, naturally, opens more windows of opportunity. Nothing is linear it seems-- its a squiggly line. This made me very happy because I have no idea what I want to do or where I want to go...which is not probably what they meant but--oh well!And that's all of my philosophical pondering for today.
I have several projects I'll be working on this week, so I'm excited! Working is actually a lot more engaging and fun than I thought. They have a microwave, fridge and water boiler in the office.  I am particularly taken with the water boiler, and make tea far too frequently. I think it weirded out the other staffers so I toned it down a bit. See how fascinating my work is? There were a few times where I thought my brain might ooze out of my nostrils I was so bored, but most of those moments are behind me.
I've been exploring DC, the Smithsonian's, clubs, restaurants and cafes. I saw the Anderson House, which is now the Cincinnati Society, and in my opinion its comparable to Versailles. I also saw the library of Congress (need to get my library pass so I can explore inside!). Mostly I've been walking around and taking it all in, but I hope to explore more of the city than just its museums.


I got fun calls/ texts on Friday from Unofficial, which made me miss U of I a bit.
That's all folks! Hope everything is well, and keep me updated on how your lives are all going!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, my supervisor pretty much thinks I'm a sugar fiend with how much sugar I put in my tea! *Shrugs* haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah Helen this is hilarious, i love the random details/stream of consciousness and words of wisdom :) also, those words of wisdom are so true, most of us don't really know exactly what we want to do.

    ReplyDelete