Friday, March 16, 2012

Stipend day!

Happy stipend day everyone! It's undoubtedly my favorite time of the month. I feel like Richie Rich for approximately one week, until I pay my rent and buy groceries and realize I can't find a place in this city to get a haircut for less than a hundred bucks. Then I cry and start collecting Swedish coins I find in the subway.

Work has been busy. My sister is coming to visit next week, so I've been attempting to get a lot done so I can take it easy while she's here. I've been meeting with lots of people and working on an outline for the paper I one day hope to produce from this research. I noticed this weird blotchy pattern on my left thigh about a week ago, and upon further investigation have learned it's called ''laptop leg'' a.k.a. a BURN on my LAP from having my computer sitting there so much. It's nothing serious obviously, but tells you a lot about my lifestyle here. I have since started putting my laptop on the desk, but the internet suggests this burn might stick around anywhere from a few weeks to a few years. So that's kind of scary.

I'm jealous of the warm weather everyone on facebook as been bragging about! It's definitely warmed up here, but nothing past the 40s so far. Despite thorough embarassment of my weird thigh rash, I want to start wearing dresses so so bad. Next week my sister and I will take some day trips to nearby cities, do some hiking, and other fun touristy things so I'm looking forward to that. Also in early April I'm spending a few days in Copenhagen, which I think will be a lot of fun.

Being here has made me rethink some of my future plans. I'm holding all of you to this, as you will be my support system for the next year or so--- I do not want to go to law school right away. Seriously. If you see me with an LSAT book slap it out of my hands (not that that would ever have actually been an issue). Don't let me get caught up in school again and change my mind. Okay? Okay, guys!? Taking ''time-off'' is amazing. If I can find someone who will pay me to do something cool in a unique place for a few years after my master's, I will take it. Then, and only then, will I consider law school. Please occasionally remind me of this next semester, y'all. I'm counting on you!

I'm moving in April to a place where my rent is partly covered by my department. It's a crappier location and place, but the benefit is that I will be able to afford to stay past May, which I would really love. So that's my current plan. I still don't have anywhere to live when we get back though, I keep forgetting about that. Oh well! I'm in Europe! Woo!

1 comment:

  1. After doing this internship, I definitely want to wait before going to school again, and I also need to do some world traveling or exploring and working in different cities and jobs. Happy St. Patty's day and stipend day to you too!!

    ReplyDelete